Monday, February 7, 2011

Comfort Zone

Hey y'all,

I have never been one to stay in my comfort zone. Either that or it is the largest comfort zone that has ever existed. When I was younger, I thrived on pushing the envelope just a little bit further. Now I just kind of do things just to see the outcome. But yesterday I was thinking about some of the things that I do, that are comfortable to me.

Like for example.... I have this old circa 2000 Gray Old Navy sweatshirt that I still to this day wear. Being in my churches Chapel and feeling the comfort of all the things that I went through and prayer for on the old orange carpet. Smelling a certain body spray, that instantly takes me back to Jakarta and the longing that I have to do the Lord's work. But I would say that one of my favorite things, I do that is comforting to me is sing this song that one of the college interns used to sing, when I was in seventh grade.

The lyrics are so simple and the melody isn't some elaborate song that we sing now in worship. I can remember singing it when I was in my freshmen year of college and struggling to get out of bed. I remember singing it when I was alone in my room after I graduated wondering what the next step was going to be. I can remember singing it to myself, when I would wake up in Jakarta at 5 to the call to prayer and be heartbroken for the lost people that I was surrounded by. Recently, I have been singing it, as I wait on the Lord's timing to show me some things that I am needing.

I have looked to see if I can find a recording of it, but I can't. So I stick to the simple little song in my head and my heart that has served as a little refuge reminder of God and who he is.

"You are all that I need
You are all that I need
When I am weak
I will trust in thee
Cause you are all that I need"
There are three verses to the song, but the last is my favorite
"And When I am Empty
Jesus, You are my Fire
A Holy Refiner
My Only Desire"
-K

No comments:

Post a Comment